Thursday, March 1, 2012

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr- Review


I read this book last year and I was absolutely in love with it. I never got through the whole series because I was distracted by other titles sitting on my shelves, but I’ve decided that I’m going to read the rest of the series very soon! Wicked Lovely is an inventive masterpiece created by Marr that transports you into the world of the fey.


This first installment of the Wicked Lovely series follows Aislinn, a young girl who has always had the misfortune of being able to see faeries. Her grandmother has told her never to stare at the invisible faeries, never to speak to them and never, ever draw their attention. On one particular day, Aislinn is followed by two of the fey: a very handsome boy about her age and a beautiful, but eerily creepy girl. As she’s being stalked, she can’t help but get the feeling that these are no ordinary fey and that their following her can only mean something bad is going to happen. When she finds out that the boy faerie following her is the king of the Summer Court, all of her grandmother’s teachings go out the window as she is thrown into the fey world. Her whole way of life is in jeopardy and she must find a way to make sense of her involvement with the fey courts. As if that wasn’t enough, her relationship with her best friend Seth is escalating into a romance, which adds a whole new level of complication to her relation to the Summer King.  This book has faeries, an evil queen, an ice princess and a very hunky tattooed guy, everything you needed to make the story impossible to put down.

As you can probably tell, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. One of best parts was the beginning. Right from the start you are pulled into the story. Aislinn walks the streets of her home city while trying to keep her head down and out of the fey’s focus. From the first page, you see what a hard life Aislinn must lead, trying to keep out of the faeries attention. Marr describes the faeries in her story to be grotesque, but somehow beautiful and mesmerizing. This was a great feature of the story for me. I loved trying to picture the multi-limbed creatures as being so scary that they’re beautiful.  I thought Marr did a fantastic job at bringing not only the setting, but her characters to life as well. I could clearly picture the story in my own head, making the read that much more enjoyable.

7 to 10

Happy Birthday :)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment