Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead - Review


I have been in a little slump lately in reading YA books. For some reason, I haven't been able to get into any of my recent reads and so I thought I'd try reading another adult book. I broke from the norm and read an adult science fiction romance novel by one of my favorites, Richelle Mead!


Succubus Blues is the first in the Georgina Kincaid series by Miss Mead. Georgina is just your average woman who has a cat and a cute little flat in Seattle and works in a bookstore, except for the fact that she's an immortal succubus. For those of you who are a little behind on your mythology, a succubus is a shape shifting demon who seduces mortal men. The problem with Georgina is that her succubus lifestyle is wearing on her. She'd much rather live her life of solitude and normalcy, but of course with friends that are arch-demons  vampires, imps and angels, an easy life is out of the question. When someone or something starts attacking her friends in the immortal community, she has to figure out who's behind the attacks and it may be the person she least expects.

Well, this one was branded as more of a romance novel but it turned out to be a mystery with two sex scenes thrown in, which I won't exactly complain about. I'm more into to reading actual romance novels, but this mystery was fun and had me guessing who done it.

The concept of a succubus that is bad at her job AND a huge nerd was one of my favorite parts of the book. She wanted to be a normal, boring, 20 something, much like myself, living in Seattle working at a bookstore (my dream life). I liked Georgina as a character, she was a bit more complex than I've been seeing in recently read novels and her attitude and snarky comments were fun to read. She had many layers and I liked the brief flashbacks into her past life before she was a succubus.

As you can probably tell my by semi boring review, this book wasn't all that exciting. It took me a long time to get through and while I enjoyed reading it (as I do with most all of Richelle Mead's books) I found this one to be a little slow and the action and adventure didn't take place until the last 100 pages of the story, which was very disappointing.

Overall, I wasn't wowed as I had hoped to be and I may go back to the series later on when I'm bored and in need of a break, but I don't think that'll be anytime soon. I'm thinking that the next books in the series will probably be a little bit more interesting as we've been introduced to the world and characters, hopefully. Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe that this was Mead's first novel and as we all know, her books after this are some of my favorites. I've also heard great things about her other adult series, so I'm going to have to give those a try I think!

Happy Reading :)

6 out of 10
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment