Thursday, April 25, 2013

Poison by Bridget Zinn - Review



As I said in my earlier post, one of the reasons that I took a break from blogging was that I started feelign like reading was a chore. I also started falling out of love with the YA genre. GASP?! It’s true! I couldn’t find books that really held my interest for longer than a chapter and I’d end up opting for a smarmy NA romance to tide me over. After about 10 of said romance novels during my hiatus, I was itching to get back to the world of vampires, witches and wizards... and some epiclly well written books. As many of you know, NA romances are lacking in the writing/editing department and it began wearing on my nerves!


And then Poison by Bridget Zinn came along and this little book got me excited to get blogging again and more importantly, renewing my love for Young Adult fiction.

Poison tells the story of Master Potioner Kyra as she’s on the run from the Kingdom’s top authorities for attempting to assassinate Princess Arianna... who happens to be her best friend. Kyra will stop at nothing to complete her task even though it means losing everyone she’s ever loved. On her arduous journey she is met by a host of unusual characters including an evil witch, a cute traveler named Fred and perhaps the most unusual of all, Rosie, a small pink piglet. Filled with magic, treachery and fun, Poison takes you on the adventure with Kyra and her friends as she fights to save her Kingdom.

I needed a book like this. I grew up reading epic fantasy novels, my favorites coming from Tamora Pierce. Her exquisite brand of medieval storytelling is so detailed and exciting that it’s hard to put them down. I’ve been craving something similar, but more updated. Bridget Zinn did just that.

We begin the story not knowing much about Kyra and her world other than after an attempted assassination of the Princess, this potioner is on the run from the law. We learn of her mastery in the craft of potions... and not potions for healing or beauty, but deadly weapons. She’s an expert in her field and it was fun reading about her different weapons dipped in poisons and dart throwing abilities.

One of my favorite parts about stories like this is that there isn’t five chapters building up the world. You’re thrown right in along with the characters and you learn as you go. It’s a more simple way of reading and really brought me back to my Pierce reading days.

As you progress through Poison, you learn more about Kyra’s past and her reasons for attempting to kill the princess. I had to remind myself to slow down and absorb the story because I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next. The pacing is great, the characters are lovable and strong and who doesn’t love a cute little pig named Rosie.

Poison has such a unique and engaging story, you’ll never want to put it down. It’s sad to think that Bridget Zinn is no longer with us and we’ll never get another story from her creatively wonderful mind, but I’m happy to have gotten to read her story!

10 out of 10

Happy Reading :)


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. huh, very intriguing I will have to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re thrown right in along with the characters and you learn as you go.

    I've never really thought about it before, but I think this is probably my favorite way to learn about the world! Like you said, it's a much more simple way of reading, and it builds a lot of intrigue and suspense. Glad to see you found a book to rekindle that YA flame!

    ReplyDelete