Sunday, June 17, 2012

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks - Review


This book was especially exciting to read because I was just able to meet Anna Banks at one of her stops on the Fierce Reads tour. Let me say that the witty and hilarious way in which Banks writes her books and portrays her characters reflects her real life personality. This woman is hilarious and meeting her in person made reading her book that much more enjoyable.


Of Poseidon is a story of a young girl named Emma and a boy named Galen. Galen, a prince of the Syrena must search the shores for a girl he believes can communicate with fish. As he tries to accomplish his task, he quite literally runs into Emma and her friend Chloe on the beaches of Florida. While he is sure that there is something special about Emma, he's not positive that she is the one he's searching for. After tragedy strikes and Emma begins to change, Galen finds that she is the girl he is looking for and is possibly the only one who can save his people.

Now before starting this book, I was a little hesitant to start another story about merpeople because after reading Lies Beneath, I really didn't think I could handle another book about sea folk. This one did surprise me and I ended up loving it. One of my favorite things about this book is the humor with which Banks writes. Her character's banter left me quite literally laughing out loud and the playful tone of this book made it so that I could hardly put it down. Overall, I really welcomed Bank's fresh style of writing.

I also appreciated the tone of this book. Just like I felt with The Selection, I felt like this book had a very soft tone that left readers happy and content with the story as a whole. While the tension in this book didn't leave me on the edge of my seat and the cliffhanger could be seen from a mile away, this book fit my mood exactly. If you're looking for an intense thrill ride, this book isn't for you, but if you're looking for a comforting swim through the warm waters of the Florida Panhandle, this is a book to pick up.

7 out of 10

Happy Reading

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. That's so awesome that you got to meet Anna Banks! You're the second one who's told me that her personality is very much like her characters in the book. I recently read and reviewed Of Poseidon as well (and loved it). Great review! I definitely agree that it's a more light-hearted novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you liked the book too. I was just so happy and content while reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! I'm even considering getting the novella prequel. Have you read 0.5 Legacy Lost?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had honestly not even heard of Legacy Lost, but I will definitely be adding it to my to-read list! Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is on my TBR list. Good review, I may have to bump this book up on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really great! I think you'd like it and her second book comes out soon too!

      Delete