Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles, #1) by Rick Riordan - Review


I am extremely excited to have finished the first book in the Kane Chronicles. I'm a big fan of Rick Riordan and so I love any chance  I get at reading one of his awesome stories.


The Red Pyramid is the first in his series of books about ancient Egypt. Brother and sister Carter and Sadie have split apart now that their mother is dead. Sadie lives a normal life in London with their grandparents while Carter travels the world with only a suitcase to his name with his father, who happens to be one of the foremost experts on Egyptian myth. On a night where their father promises to set everything right for their family, Carter and Sadie find that Egyptian myth did not die in the pyramids... the world around them is not all that it may seem and they must risk everything to help save their father when the Egyptian god Set is released.

I am a huge fan of Riordan's original Percy Jackson series and I've enjoyed what I've read so far of his second Percy series. It's amazing how Riordan has the ability to take what interests kids (and me) the most and turn it into a story that can't be put down. I've had people at work trade my Percy books around and love them as much as I do.

To my enjoyment (and relief) I loved this new series. The brother and sister dynamic in this book really brought on some interesting situations and some pretty funny dialog. I would find myself chuckling along to Carter and Sadie's constant bickering. These two main characters as well as the Gods and Goddesses we meet have such rich and vibrant personalities you can't help but fall into the world that Riordan has created. He has such a way with world building and you can just picture the characters traveling across the U.S. and into the world of Egyptian lore. I was dazzled once again.

One thing that really makes Riordan's books so enjoyable is that he takes our characters to real places and teaches you along the way. As an adult I get excited when I go places where Percy Jackson has been so I can only assume that kids get just as excited as I do! It's a great learning tool and makes you thirst for more and more knowledge on the subject Riordan has presented.

The story moved at a great pace that made you never want to put the book down and the exciting adventure through out the story had me reaching for book two! If you haven't read one of Rick Riordan's books yet, I suggest you do so stat!

9 out of 10

Happy Reading :)
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you loved this series! I'm pretty sure I've already said this but, The Percy Jackson series is one of those series that I keep saying I'm going to try but never make an effort to. I really liked the movie (own it) and just about everyone I know says that the books are ten times better. Great review! It's great to know that Rick Riordan can continue to write amazing books.

    ReplyDelete