Saturday, May 5, 2012

Insurgent by Veronica Roth - Review


What can I really say about reading Insurgent? Well before you dive further into my review, let me say that I will not be spoiling one single detail for those who haven't devoured Insurgent yet!

Quite honestly, I'm not even going to put up a synopsis for you. All you need to know is that this book takes up a little after Divergent has ended. I'm just going to explain a little bit about how I felt while reading this book rather than review it in my typical fashion. Here goes!


I always know that a book is great, when I feel like I come out of a fog after reading it. It took me a few minutes to come back to reality and stop feeling like I was in Chicago and part of a faction in the future. I really had to get my head cleared because I was so completely and utterly wrapped up in this book and this world that Veronica Roth created for her readers. She has such an exceptional talent for world building and how she presents said world to her readers. You will never feel like you're getting too much description or too much analysis of the world surrounding the main characters.

One of the most awesome parts of this book is that we get to see deeper into all of the factions (Amity, Dauntless, Erudite, Candor and Abnegation). In this story, we get to visit with each faction and not only learn about their traditions and ways of life, but we learn about their flaws and really the flaws in society as a whole. It's not hard to imagine yourself into the world that Roth has created and to see what troubles a society organized in this way would pose.

In Insurgent, Roth takes a look at the human condition. We get to see what blind power does when it's handed to one individual and how when you get rid of one crazy person, there is always another crazier person waiting to be brought forth. I loved how Tris in this novel had to figure out what it meant to be Divergent and she had to struggle with right and wrong. She had to deal with the loss of her parents and to try and figure out what it meant for herself and her future when they sacrificed themselves for her well being. It's a position that no one hopes to be in, but one can relate to her struggles and her sacrifices.

Don't worry, you'll be seing plenty of Four (or Tobias as he is interchangeably called through out the story) as he has to battle his own demons as well. Tobias and Tris as a dynamic couple were so great to see in that they had to figure out how to be together while balancing secrets and betrayal. They're one of my favorite couples to watch.

Let me say that this was one of the hardest reviews I've written. It took me a while to get my thoughts straightened out and I apologize if this review is a tad erratic or confusing. Think of it as a book worms ramblings after finishing one of the best books they've ever read all year.

9 out of 10

Happy reading :)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment